The one thing we all have in common is our unafraid and unapologetic desire to change the way things are, to the way things should be. Which explains why we have so many advocates on staff.
“Since joining RALLY, I’ve had the opportunity to rapidly grow as a strategist and an advocate—learning from sharp team members and supporting clients who are advocating for the issues I’m most passionate about.”
RALLYers go the extra mile. That’s why two of us flew in a prop plane in a Colorado snowstorm to attend a meeting about the Census.
“Since our founding, RALLY has been about action and daring and advancing the issues we care about. Those values are reflected in our name and woven throughout our practice.”
Dr. Toya Johnson-Moore
Manager of People and Culture
Our work is personal. We care about the issues we work on so much that many of us have uprooted our lives for various causes and campaigns over the years.
Culturally conscious communications are core to our practice. We actively recruit RALLY team members from different backgrounds who bring unique life experiences to the work. We seek to cultivate a culture across all team members to relentlessly examine our work through a lens of inclusivity and equity. We then infuse this knowledge and understanding through all of our client work – from strategy to the language we use to the messengers we engage to the tactics we employ.
RALLY is an issue-driven communications firm with a record of driving progress around complex political and social problems. The firm was founded in California and over the past seven-plus years has grown to four offices and a team of over 65 professionals. Organizations like the ACLU, Black Lives Matter, March for Our Lives, Earth Justice, and GoFundMe are among the more than 300 clients we’ve worked with. As a team, RALLY strives to be:
- Adaptable and agile
- Inspiring and persuasive
- Innovative and inventive
- Curious and growth-minded
- Collaborative and team-oriented
- Culturally intelligent and equity-promotive
RALLY is proud to work on an extensive range of critical social issues, including education, environmental protection, immigration, health care, women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, financial inequality, gun violence, and more. They work with leading foundations, advocacy organizations, philanthropists, high-profile individuals, and commercial entities who strive to shape public policy, discourse, and opinion. They are engaged to:
- Identify unique strategies to advance critical issues.
- Design and execute impactful communications campaigns with powerful messaging.
- Build advocacy organizations from the ground up.
- Develop and execute sophisticated digital campaigns.
- Design compelling brand identities, graphic, and storytelling content.
- Conceive of and execute large-scale events.
For more information on RALLY, please visit their website.
RALLY is seeking a Director of Finance to partner with the CEO and key members of the leadership team on the development and implementation of RALLY’s financial strategy, forecasting and planning, investment priorities, policy decisions, contracting, and revenue and staffing models. Additionally, they will be responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating all aspects of the firm’s accounting operation.
As this is a new role at RALLY, the Director will manage the transition of these, and other financial responsibilities, from current consultants. Reporting to the President, the Director will determine the support they will need as RALLY anticipates an additional full-time position to assist with bookkeeping, data entry, and basic finance functions.
This is an exciting opportunity for a finance expert to join a mission-driven, rapidly growing agency that is just as focused on culture as the bottom line. The Director will play a key role in helping to ensure that financial practices are leading edge, effectively adapted and implemented to align with RALLY’s unique needs and circumstances and aligned with values and goals.
Strong candidates will offer the requisite strategy, finance, and business skills as well as exceptional attention to detail; the ability to manage in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; a collegial and engaging management and communications style; and the ability to lead and manage change with tact and diplomacy.
While no candidate will bring every qualification desired the details provided below are representative of the knowledge and skills RALLY is seeking for this important hire.
- Drives strategic financial planning for the firm and provides thought leadership in its evolution to ensure operational excellence and advancing firmwide goals
- Works in close collaboration with the CEO and leadership, providing updates, forecasting, reporting, and solutions
- Leads others through transition and communicates change in a clear and effective manner
- Serves as a strategic and trusted thought partner to the entire staff to deliberate ideas in an agile environment
- Prioritizes competing demands and executes on a broad range of tasks and projects
- Maintains RALLY’s annual forecast, including projected revenue and expenses, and any re-forecasting as needed
- Creates clear and concise financial dashboards and reporting structures that allow for immediate and long-range analysis and planning
- Develops a standard reporting package and provides timely preparation of financial statements, including but not limited to, month-end closing activities, income statements, balance sheets, budgets, forecasts, trend analysis, and tax reporting
- Coordinates the submission of financial information with the tax accountant and ensures the timely filing and compliance of all required government financial reports
- Reviews business service contracts and lease agreements and maintains compliance for multi-state business tax renewals, payroll and business property tax filings, and insurance services and renewals.
- Tracks data and makes recommendations and decisions to keep the firm competitive re: rates/pricing, as well as compensation
- Provides strategic insight into staffing structures and resource management
- Works closely with firm leadership to oversee the pipeline of new business leads and assess the viability, pricing, margins, and risk factors of those leads
- Create a method/process by which to evaluate potential RALLY investments (acquisitions, new hires, etc.)
- Engage with potential investors, other finance leads, etc. to identify areas where RALLY’s structure, business model, financials, etc. can be improved
- Assess and implement appropriate financial tools and processes RALLY does not currently take advantage of to fill gaps.
- 7+ years of experience working across finance and accounting functions
- Experience identifying and implementing new systems, platforms, and processes that result in greater efficiency and innovation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong financial modeling capability
- Strong emotional intelligence and the professionalism to handle confidential information
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet knowledge, and the customer service orientation to teach others
- Aptitude to manage multiple priorities and adhere to concurrent deadlines
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize, and work independently and with a cross functional team
- Work autonomously in a creative and dynamic environment
- Ability to work and manage a team remotely
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or a related discipline; MBA and/or CPA helpful
- Prior finance experience with client service company, consulting, PR, or advertising firm a plus
Culture and Benefits
At RALLY, we believe that a business is only as good as its people. That’s why we’re invested in providing a broad range of employee benefits and perks that demonstrate our commitment to our people, their growth and development, and to the vibrant RALLY culture we are building together.
We believe that changing the world should come with a healthy paycheck, time to recharge, and support to reach new heights. RALLY offers a competitive salary plus eligibility for performance-based and new business bonuses. We also offer a healthy benefits package, plus some perks:
- Three and a half weeks paid vacation, as well as paid holidays
- One week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- One week of paid volunteer days to work pro bono on any issue you believe in
- Summer Fridays and half-days prior to Federal holidays
- Evolving work-from-home policy
- 401(k) plan with an employer match
- Transit stipend of $125 per month or paid office parking
- Cell phone and data service stipend up to $150 per month
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits with coverage for spouses/partners
- Paid family and medical leave policy which greatly exceeds what the law mandates
- Flexible, family-friendly workplace
- Annual review with 360 feedback and semi-annual check-ins
- Annual RALLY Day of Action (Cesar Chavez Day)
For this role, salary is competitive and commensurate with experience that will be discussed directly with interested candidates.
This position is ideally based in LA, San Francisco, Seattle, or Austin though location may be flexible for candidates in other parts of the country.
Molly Brennan and Shelby Woods of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. Email Shelby directly at email@example.com. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
As a firm, RALLY is committed to fostering belonging in a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. RALLY is strengthened by our team’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression, just to name a few. RALLY is an equal opportunity employer, and all applicants will be considered. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
At Koya, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone. Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.